Twitter Blue is a premium subscription service offered by Twitter that provides users with exclusive features and perks. For a monthly or yearly fee, Twitter Blue gives you access to features like edit tweet, bookmark folders, reader mode, customizable app icons and color themes, and more. However, you may decide at some point that you no longer wish to pay for the service. Canceling your Twitter Blue subscription is easy to do through the Twitter app.
How to Cancel Twitter Blue on iOS
If you subscribed to Twitter Blue using an iPhone or iPad, you can cancel your subscription directly through the iOS app. Here is a step-by-step guide:
- Open the Twitter app on your iOS device.
- Tap your profile icon in the top left corner to open your profile page.
- Scroll down and tap “Twitter Blue”. This will open the Twitter Blue settings page.
- Tap “Manage Subscription”.
- Tap “Cancel Subscription”.
- Confirm that you want to cancel by tapping “Cancel Subscription” again when prompted.
Your Twitter Blue subscription is now canceled and you will no longer be billed. You will continue to have access to Twitter Blue features until the end of your current billing period.
How to Cancel Twitter Blue on Android
If you subscribed to Twitter Blue using an Android device, you can easily cancel your subscription through the Android app:
- Open the Twitter app on your Android phone or tablet.
- Tap your profile icon in the top left corner.
- Scroll down and select “Twitter Blue”.
- Tap “Manage subscription”.
- Tap “Cancel subscription” and confirm when prompted.
That’s all there is to it! Your Twitter Blue subscription is now canceled and you will stop being charged at the end of your current billing period.
When Does Cancellation Take Effect?
When you cancel your Twitter Blue subscription, the cancellation does not take effect immediately. You will continue to have access to all Twitter Blue features until the end of your current billing period.
For example, if you are on a monthly plan and cancel on the 15th of the month, you will still be able to use Twitter Blue until the end of that month. On the 1st of the following month, your subscription will officially end.
If you are on a yearly plan, you will have access until the end of the remaining year. Cancellation does not entitle you to any type of refund.
Can You Reactivate Twitter Blue?
If you change your mind after canceling Twitter Blue, you can easily reactivate your subscription. Just follow the same steps to re-purchase Twitter Blue from the in-app subscription page.
All of your previous Twitter Blue settings and preferences will be restored if you reactivate within 60 days of canceling. After 60 days, your Twitter Blue features and settings will be reset.
Why You May Want to Cancel Twitter Blue
There are a few reasons why you may want to cancel your Twitter Blue subscription:
- You’re looking to cut costs – If you don’t use the features enough to justify the monthly/yearly fee, canceling Twitter Blue can help you save money.
- You don’t use the exclusive features – If you find you aren’t really using the bonus Twitter Blue features like edit tweet or reader mode, you may decide it’s not worth paying for.
- You want to take a break – You might want to take a break from Twitter Blue for a while and can always resubscribe later.
- You prefer the free experience – Some people find they just like the classic, free Twitter experience rather than the premium Blue version.
- You switched platforms – If you no longer use Twitter very often or switched social media platforms, you likely don’t need to pay for Twitter Blue anymore.
- Your needs changed – Twitter Blue may no longer suit your social media needs or preferences.
No matter what your reasons are for canceling, the process is quick and easy. You just need to access the subscription management page through your Twitter app.
What Features Will I Lose by Canceling Twitter Blue?
Canceling Twitter Blue means you’ll lose access to the special bonus features offered exclusively to paying subscribers. Here are some of the key features you’ll no longer have:
- Edit Tweet – The ability to edit tweets after publishing them.
- Bookmark Folders – Lets you organize saved tweets into custom folders.
- Reader Mode – Reads long threads and articles in a clean, distraction-free format.
- Color Themes – Customize your app with different color themes.
- Custom App Icons – Change the Twitter app icon on your device.
- NFT Profile Picture – Ability to set an NFT as your profile photo.
- Ad-Free Articles – Removes ads from some article links.
- Prioritized Ranking – Your content may get lower ranking after canceling.
- Longer Video Upload – Loss of ability to upload videos up to 10 minutes long.
The key Twitter Blue features focus on customization and convenience. By canceling, you lose access to these premium perks.
Downsides to Canceling Twitter Blue
While canceling Twitter Blue gives you the freedom to avoid the monthly or yearly costs, there are some downsides to giving up the premium features:
- Lose the ability to edit tweets – This is one of the most popular Twitter Blue features, so you may miss being able to fix typos or errors after tweeting.
- Lower visibility – Your tweets and replies may get less visibility without the prioritized ranking.
- Basic customization – You’ll have to go back to the basic pre-set colors and icons with no option to customize your Twitter experience.
- Regular article experience – No more ad-free, reader-friendly version of articles shared on Twitter.
- Less organization – Lose the ability to create bookmark folders to organize saved tweets and content.
- Shorter video uploads – Your videos will be capped at the standard 2 minutes and 20 seconds for non-Blue users.
- No NFT profile picture – You won’t be able to showcase an NFT you own as your profile photo.
While not dealbreakers for everyone, these downsides are worth considering before you decide to permanently cancel your subscription.
How Much Does Twitter Blue Cost?
Twitter Blue is available as either a monthly or annual subscription. Here is the breakdown of the pricing:
- Monthly: $2.99 per month when paid monthly.
- Annually: $34.99 per year when paid annually. This equals $2.99 per month.
If you prefer to pay monthly, it allows more flexibility to cancel at any time. The annual plan is a better value in terms of overall cost for those who know they will stick with Twitter Blue long-term.
Both plans provide the same features. The only difference is whether you pay month-by-month or upfront annually.
Tips for Saving Money on Twitter Blue
If you want to keep your Twitter Blue subscription but also save some money, here are a few tips:
- Pay annually – The yearly plan brings your monthly cost down to $2.99 per month, saving you $36 per year compared to the monthly price.
- Use discounted gift cards – Look for deals on Twitter Blue gift subscriptions to get a lower discounted price.
- Cancel and resubscribe – You could cancel for a few months when you may not use it as much, then resubscribe later.
- Seek student discounts – There are sometimes student discounts available for long-term academic Twitter Blue subscriptions.
- Split costs with a family member – If you share a subscription with family, you can split the annual cost and each create your own account.
- Ask about loyalty offers – Long-time Twitter users may get special loyalty offers encouraging them to try Twitter Blue.
With a little strategic planning, you may be able to reduce the cost of Twitter Blue by 10-20% using one of these savings tactics.
How Many People Have a Twitter Blue Subscription?
Since launching globally in June 2022, Twitter has not released exact figures on the number of Twitter Blue subscribers. However, Twitter CEO Elon Musk indicated that as of December 2022, Twitter Blue had “over 300,000” subscribers.
Prior to Musk purchasing Twitter in October 2022, Twitter Blue was reported to have around 15,000 subscribers as of July 2022. So most of the growth has happened within the past few months.
With Twitter having approximately 238 million daily active monetizable users, Twitter Blue subscribers still represent a very small fraction of total users. Less than 0.5% of active Twitter users pay for Twitter Blue based on current adoption.
However, with plans to add new features and verification for Twitter Blue subscribers, many analysts predict strong growth in 2023. There is opportunity for Twitter to significantly increase their revenue from the premium service.
Comparing Twitter Blue to Other Platform Subscriptions
Twitter Blue follows the trend of social media platforms creating premium paid subscription tiers to generate revenue beyond just advertising. Here is how Twitter Blue compares to subscriptions on other platforms:
- Facebook Meta Verified – $11.99 per month for verified account badge and extra security. Offered since 2022.
- Snapchat+ – $3.99 per month for exclusive features like pinning conversations. Launched in 2022.
- Reddit Premium – $5.99 per month for ad-free browsing, custom avatars, and more. Offered since 2018.
- Discord Nitro – $9.99 per month for HD video, animated avatars, larger file uploads. Available since 2017.
- Telegram Premium – $4.99 per month for faster downloads, exclusive stickers. Rolled out in 2022.
- YouTube Premium – $11.99 per month for ad-free videos, background play, and offline downloads. Offered since 2015.
Twitter Blue is very competitively priced compared to most other platforms’ premium offerings. This may help drive further adoption in 2023 among users looking to unlock more features.
What the Future Holds for Twitter Blue
While Twitter Blue is still new and evolving, Twitter CEO Elon Musk has hinted at some future additions coming to the premium service:
- Verification for subscribers – Paid verification with a blue checkmark would be a major selling point for Twitter Blue.
- Increased character limits – Potential to allow longer-form tweets (over the standard 280 characters) for subscribers.
- Audio messages – Twitter is considering adding voice messages that could be a Twitter Blue exclusive feature.
- Metrics on tweets – Seeing more in-depth analytics on tweet performance and impressions.
- Ad-free articles – Expanding the ad-free article mode beyond just a handful of publishing partners.
- Live events – Possible access to exclusive Twitter Blue member events, both digital and in-person.
Additional perks like these could significantly grow the value of a Twitter Blue subscription in the future. More users may be willing to pay monthly for these premium features.
Canceling Twitter Blue is quick and straightforward if you no longer want to pay for the premium Twitter experience. By following the steps within the Twitter app itself, you can cancel and stop being billed in just a few taps.
While you’ll lose access to bonus features like customizing your experience and editing tweets, canceling Twitter Blue can let you avoid the monthly or annual costs if you aren’t using it enough to justify the fees. With the ability to resubscribe anytime, canceling Twitter Blue is a flexible option for anyone seeking to take a break or downgrade from the premium service.